Monday, February 28, 2005

A Yen for SUSHI!!!

Oh, I love sushi – For a true-blue 100%Saraswat what’s not to love – fish - good, rice - good, hot as hell dip- action – super-duper good!!!

After figuring out that sushi is really like carpaccio which is also raw but very well marinated and super with nice garlic bread and Tabasco and I love (but that story is for another day), I tried it a couple of years ago and was hooked, booked and well, you know not cooked…

So, it was a happy-day in Nish-land when sushi made its little sesame-coated way to our city. There are 6 restaurants in the city that serve sushi – and one which only does Japanese. How great is that.

The sushi trail started at Joss, in Kala Ghoda waaaay back in June last year, before the great Japanese invasion – so, given that it was so long ago, I cannot really remember how good it was but could not have been that good since I don’t remember it, right???

But, now there’s Wasabi – and I’m happy, happy, joy, joy. OF course it’s super expensive and of course its totally a happy birthday or happy recovery from jaundice occasion place. It’s very nice and green (lots of green – walls, plates) and yes, there is a proper sushi bar that we can sit at and watch the three sushi chefs work…. Its quite beautiful and almost performance art – watching them roll the sticky rice around the seaweed and fish! And I got loads of wasabi to have really tiny bits of just like that between plates, freshly grated for me at the table by cute oriental looking chef…screw gari – I’m refreshing my palate with wasabi!! So, what did we have??? Here is where I got a chance to show off my partial knowledge – we tried chutoro (tuna belly), yellow-tail, shrimp, unagi (eel), fish-roe, salmon, nigiri, o-toro(some other tuna body part) – as is noticeable, I’m a sushi gourmand, not gourmet. I did not really waste stomach space on the veggie maki-rolls though I’m sure they are all perfectly nice rolls too.
Oh Oh, and they do an extremely interesting dessert – wasabi sorbet!!! Can one overload on wasabi??? I’ve always been a sucker for the side-chutneys and pickles and wasabi is jap pickle isn’t it???

Other places – I have been to India Jones, which does a very very good salmon maki roll and Seijo which does a very indifferent one (but the wasabi rocks!!) over the weekend.

So, there is still Spices at the Marriot and Tiffin, the Hilton towers to check out but we can safely say that I never need to worry again since my sushi security blanket is here!!! No more going insane at Yo Sushi again!! Yip Yip
(well maybe just a little bit)

1 He said She said:

At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Educational AND entertaining.....now there's a combo i could really go for!

love ya!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home