Monday, March 28, 2005

I ish a domestic goddess!!! No, really I ish I ish!!!

I know that a couple of the girls are going to die laughing, especially V, since I was famous for burning papad at her place at the tender training to-be-domestic-goddess age of 14 when they could roll out the perfect little rotlis, I was delegated to sitting on the kitchen table and eating those little puris and chundo.

But I did do my bestest this weekend – I think I am ready to be unveiled to the world – husband dearest’s praises does not really count because he was a dehati who had like never had any gourmet food beyond dal, chawal in his childhood and youth (he’s so lucky he has me, sigh!!!)and he looooves me, so even my burnt prawns was good for him.

OK, domestic goddessing – focus focus – my mind is a rolling stone that gathers too much cat-hair. So, Samar, Sarika and baby Inaya were invited for dinner on Friday night and I was all excited about making everything at home, since Sarika cannot eat bahar ka khaana.

This was my menu – adapated from Tapas (bloody rip-off 15$ book from Sur La Table which I almost didn’t get billed for but then did – but I digress again), Nigel Slater’s 30minute suppers and my Classic Pasta book which is the closest I get to religious studies.

The menu,
Antipasti
Grilled peppers
– since I didn’t have a grill, I just sort of let the peppers sauté in lotsa olive oil and thyme and a little balsalmic. Served on garlic bread – this is something I leant from Lulu, and it worked pretty well.
Warm potato and walnut salad with lemon parsley butter – oh god this was the most easysqueezy item and so good – best part was samar doesn’t like walnuts, so there actually were leftovers for the chef, hehe.
Honey glazed cashewnuts
Primi
Feta and olive salaed with oliveoil & basil dressing
Pasta with sun dreid tomatoes and brocolli
– I love sun-dried tomatoes which is very weird considering that I’m not that fond of tomatoes unless they are disguised in the form of Maggi Hot & sweet but well, there is no accounting for what the sun can do to you, if you just soak it up for like a couple of hours. Look at me, I’m also a much better person, after lying around in the Goa sun – hehe, I’m a sun-dried nish – eat me eat me. No, no don’t really – I’m a happily married woman. Well, married woman. No no happily married (most of the time, said with straight face)
And I’m so happy to say this dinner worked well, there were no leftovers - the sign of overeating by everyone and ergo a good meal i should think. I’m ready to entertain more people but would prefer it if you were easy to please and had like 5 glasses of chardonnay before hand so everything seems a lovely happy yellow haze.
Was very knocked out rest of the weekend, so just can manage a small plug for my darling friend Gayatri Joshi who is sweeping the award ceremonies with her debut performance in Swades. Congrats GJ, I think this calls for Peking duck at Royal China (I’m serious, was cheated last time)

0 He said She said:

Post a Comment

<< Home