Monday, May 16, 2005

Officially Adult

Have you ever wondered when we stop being kids to our parents and start being adults? At 16, I thought it was a chornological event - you know like when I would be 18 - can vote, can drive, can get married if I want to... but it didnt happen. I did vote, I did drive (mostly them up the wall) and well, almost got married to a complete rotter... I do plead temperory insanity for that one.

At 23 boyfriend was convinced into beliveing that no other woman would be as wonderful and better suited for him and we should spend our lives together (again, pleading tempeorary insanity here, kidding kidding) and parents were all yea yea and I got casually engaged (translated as casual=no rock and engaged=no other boys) and I needed to not do the typical indian thing of moving from my parents place to husband place and moved to Bangalore for an extremely badly paid job with my own apartment where I bought my own tea and veggies and did gasp!!! budgeting. This was a rite but still was not officially an adult as needed the family bank acount to get me my tickets to BBay and back everytime.

At 24 married and Domestic Goddessing in Calcutta (i swear i was - used to make exotic indian dishes like ragda-patice and dahi-bhindi) I was well on way to being an adult... but not yet.

Now I am 28 - I figure I am always always going to go to my mommy to get my cuts kissed better, I am always always going to use my papa's smile as ultimate seal of approval. I do make my own decisions, sometimes they are not decisions anybody agrees with or approves but thats what being an adult is all about no?

This weekend was one of those where I felt a lot growed up though - Stupendous Rash and I took out our absolutely fabulous (and I am not kidding when I say fabulous and strong and cool) mother out for a drink...(we have been sitting around with the parents for a drink (alcoholic of course, soda is just calories)) to the DOME, the new lounge bar at the Intercontinental... and the growed up part was I picked up the tab!!! YEA!!!!! its quite exciting when we can finally do that for our parents...which is not to say that the mommy buying me diamonds is going to stop anytime soon...i say always keep the diamond-buying. Its my inheritance to make up for the fat thigh gene.

On saturday we went off to Lonavla to a total on-first-sight loser bungalow but improved at 8pm when the wino came out, to have happy family weekend together where we did the following:
a. medical talk (4 doctors)about stolen kidneys
b. reading of trashy chick-lit by Stupendous Rash and hunting for the steamy sections in old Harold Robbins by me
c. playing badminton with junior cousins (I could not play upto par as I have still not recovered from my disappointment of not making the professional level due to team politics)
d. eating authentic lonavla dhaba food - lachha parathas and all varieties of butter masalas (a pox on anyone who serves me anything makhni for the next month)
e. giggling, lots of giggling - I cant help it Stupendous Rash kept saying Pipudi...
f. did i mention giggling - damn it she said pipudi!!!!!!!!!

What we did not do - a. Get vada-pav at khopoli and b. Samosa at Chembur grrrrrrr

Oh, did I mention I have a new parking spot in my building - Parking Space #69 - heheheheheh, I said 69.

0 He said She said:

Post a Comment

<< Home