Saturday, May 21, 2005

Book meme

Hello, it is weekend and i have a meme (sucha funny word - meme, meme, meme hehehe)
forwarded by Lulu. She is one of the people I know who can read so much more than me and she has 69 cookbooks (hehehe, 69 again) - i no can compete in Domestic Goddessing with this girl. Anyway, here goes -

1. Total number of books I've owned
I have about 80 books - but only my most prized ones are actually with me - most of them are lying with my mommy in her giant house.

2. Last book I bought
I normally go get half a dozen in a certain mode - like Indian writing in english or women writing or Magic Realism or Japanese writers. The two latest I got are:
Living to tell the Tale - Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I love Marquez and have got to the age where its exciting to know what makes people do the way they do (some may say biography but that sounds so boring no?) This book has been so interesting because I found out that Maconda (from One hundred years of solitutde) was an actual place. The other book I got was The Way to Paradise by Mario Vargos Llosa (The Feast of The Goat) about Paul Gauguin and his life in the Tahitian islands...
I basically love most South American Writers and wish I could seriously learn Spanish to read the originals. (craving to read Neruda in the original)

3. Last book I read
Tokyo Cancelled by Rana Dasgupta - This is about a flight to Tokya which well, gets cancelled and 13people cannot be put up in hotels and have to spend the night in an airport in some other city and decide to tell stories. The stories were wierd and some were just plain confusing - I am not sure Dasgupta was aiming at Magic Realism. I havent read any reviews of this book but always looking at reading Indian writers in English. I cannot take a call on whether I liked this book but it did give me strange dreams for a week.

4. Five books that mean a lot to me
1. Lord of the rings - J.R. Tolkein - husband got this entire set for me when we were all boyfrend-girlfrend like six years ago and is still one of the best gifts i have got out of him (yes, i have to resort to extorts) Because because of Frodo and Legolas and the trees that move and the giant spider Shebol and Aragorn (I had to reread the Return of the King with mental image of that hottie Viggo Mortensen - why cant my Danish buyers look like him, damn) and so many other magical mysterious things - I also think the movie rocked. i low brow what to do!!

2. The Jeeves series- P.G.Wodehouse - when i am all alone and every one i know has a different agenda i just have to sit down with one of them and forget everything else. Always makes me smile.

3. The Unbearable Lightness of Being: Milan Kundera. I love this book. I love all Kundera books - how he can get so objective and able to break down the emotion of love - man/ woman, mother/ son into each and every involved person's perspective is just WO!!

4. The complete Calvin & Hobbes series: Bill Waterson - because I think that is what a baby chinmulgund-koppikar may be like - precocious and bratty and a little non-competitve and annoying as hell. And I can completely see Hobbes in all my miaow-miaows.

5. Winnie The Pooh & The hundred-Acre Forst: Milne - because I suspect I may also be a bear with very little brain who needs her elevenses. Another gift from husband which I found at Strand Bookstore in NYC.

5. Which 5 people would you most like to see fill this out in their blog?

Rash

2 He said She said:

At 3:29 AM, Blogger lulu said...

somehow i don't see you as a lord of the rings kinda gal but then this blog thing, i'm learning something new about you every day :)

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger Naked Street said...

Hi Nish Pish me too have a Book meme.go go and see...and be commenting
pick the link from Chotu's Blog

Tarun

 

Post a Comment

<< Home